Saturday, May 01, 2010

Melted Yet Useful

Here's the most recent of my weekly six-word memoirs, this one is a little far out.
The almost illegible words (a bad choice of thread colors and fonts) on this one say:
Mangled, Shrunken, Melted But Still Useful
The melted and mangled thing is the metal grommet attached to the plastic that our newest tarp came in. I melted it with my heat gun until it seemed to be done transforming itself in the heat.
I found that I liked the kind of crazy and unexpected juxtaposition of the degraded industrial look of the plastic and grommet against the sweet fabrics.

3 comments:

Patty said...

I love this! As it makes you have to take it in your hands and read the words and move yourself right into the creation! Your work is amazing Sister!

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Fun reading what it was, and then looking again and *seeing* it!
I think it was the addition of non-fabric items to the art quilts that pushed me to collage. I just found I liked using the nontraditional and could no longer manage it on fabric. (not that I would not return occasionally!)

XXOO!!
Anne

Jaye said...

Can you use a sharpie to color the words a different color?