Saturday, May 16, 2009

From The Land of Sky Blue Water

Another Altered Board Book that I've done recently. This one has the theme Land of Sky Blue Water.
I laid down blue tissue paper, which then was painted over with some blue and gold paints. A library pocket with tags inside was painted and then some cancelled stamps were added.
I recently discovered my old box of stamps to be put in my stamp collecting album which I was into as a kid. They're all just crammed in there, so I found some animal and landscape and American Indian related ones to use here.
This image has a postcard from the Dover postcard collection of kachina dolls on top of some handmade paper and a stitched fabric message.Walk In Beauty was stitched out on my sewing machine and then I used Tsunieko inks to color the muslin. Also, I intentionally frayed the edges.
Here's a close up of the tags. which were base painted with the library pocket. I used some vintage American Indian faces from one of the Dover collections and catalog pictures with their labels. One says Medicine Woman, and the other says Buffalo Gals Won't You Come Out Tonight.
I found some interesting prayers that I thought would be interesting to add in and put them on the back of the tags.

2 comments:

Jaye said...

Love the blues. Very watery looking.

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I, too, love the use of blue, and the stamps. Blue is such a healing color---calms me down almost immediately.
Also like the native connectiong.
Nice job!!!