Friday, May 29, 2009

Afternoon Snack

How about this for an afternoon snack?
Sliced sourdough baguette, drizzled with just a bit of olive oil, topped with slices of fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and a fresh basil leaf. Salt and pepper if you want.
Just like Insalata Caprese, but with a slice of bread underneath to help carry it to your mouth successfully. I think I could eat this every day without getting tired of it. The flavors and textures are so perfect together.

Oh and Make Sure To Fight with your brother about how many you got to have.

Finding fresh mozzarella can be hard, not all grocery stores carry it, we just noticed they carry it at Costco of all places (3-pack please and thankyouverymuch). It is supposedly not too hard to make, although I haven't tried it, only have made feta so far under supervision.

By the way, don't bother making this if you don't have fresh mozzarella, the flavor and texture just doesn't work. But if you do make them up that way with the non-fresh type, I'd heat them up to melt the cheese. Which would be totally yummy also just different.

Now my mouth is watering and I'm out of basil.

3 comments:

Anne said...

Oh Julie! now i'm hungry!

Have you made your own chese? It's not hard if you can get fresh whole milk. That's the best.

jovaliquilts said...

I'm happy to snack with you any time!
My local co-op gave a mozzarella making workshop last Saturday, but it filled before I could sign up. Gonna try it on my own, though.

Darling Petunia said...

Beautiful!