Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Sugar Magnolia

Well, I certainly fell off the blog wagon didn't I? I'm back on now for April, so get ready to read and look at pretty pictures...

It has been a busy week just past, a very packed weekend with a gathering of my Silver Branch priestess sisters, had an unexpected house guest, which was fabulous and wonderful, and the whole family enjoyed the visit, but that necessitated some major spring cleaning. Which is great, because now it is much nicer in the house.


Oh and my magnolia bloomed, I'm pretty sure for the first time since I planted it three years ago. So I took some pictures of the beautiful flowers. So exciting, I've been really looking forward to seeing this young tree with some blooms.The magnolia is up against a fence in the front yard in a wire cage to protect it from the deer. So far that seems to be working, as the tree is growing up enough to get to produce some flowers.

I just love the shape of the petals, and how they hide the inside goings on of the flower.But when the flower is opened up, all that reproductive equipment is so, out there, even well displayed. Fun fact I just found, magnolias evolved before bees and had to use beetles for pollination.

I'm really glad I figured out the macro function on my camera so that I could get some close ups.

2 comments:

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Beautiful magnolia pics; mine is suffering the Indiana "I wanna be warm, I wanna be freezing, I wanna have a thunderstorm" syndrome. I am thinking I will not get nice blossoms off it this year. I think I get really nice flowers about once out of every six or seven years.......
But when they are full in bloom and fragrant, oh my, they are worth the wait!

Darling Petunia said...

I have to laugh when someone mentions figuring out another feature of their camera. Count me in on not being too familiar with my camera. One of these days I'll sit down and figure it ALL out!