Thursday, July 10, 2008

More Bee Action

We have a lot of bees this year, which I'm very happy and relieved to see.

I recently took this series of photos of a bee enjoying the Dusty Miller blossoms. We severely cut this plant back this past spring and the result is about three times as many flowers.
I thought that the worrying events surrounding the Colony Collapse Disorder were solved, but it turns out that only part of the story is understood. There is a virus, first discovered in Israel that affects the colonies drastically. But unfortunately that isn't the only cause, there may be a lot of other factors, such as pesticide use (surprise surprise right?!).
Here is a cool video about Better Bees.
I hope that the scientists working on this issue figure it out a.s.a.p.! I sure would miss bees.
Wouldn't you?

1 comment:

Deb Lacativa said...

I have a theory that these poor "working" bees (from hives owned by people who move them from place to place for money) are Dropping Out and escaping to live and work in freedom in your garden and mine.

Hopeful notion.