Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Pies Make People Happy

Hey, I actually made a pie!

The crust and everything.

My son, Alex who just turned 13 requested an apple pie for his birthday party. And so using my new kitchen tools the Kitchenaid mixer (mixed up that heavy dough no problemo) and food processor (sliced up those apples asap) I whipped up a really good apple pie.
There was a great trick suggested in the mixer cookbook for rolling out the pie dough between two sheets of waxed paper. Shazaaam, it worked! That was always my biggest beef about making pie dough that it always stuck all over the board I rolled the dough out of. And then you'd have holes all over and it would just be a mess and good luck cleaning the board off, etc... So perhaps with my biggest bugaboo taken care of I will be making more pies in the future??
It was however hard to get the fat birthday candles into the crust. We made do with just a few instead of all 13. The pie was gone so fast I wished I'd made two.

I don't usually make pie as I don't really like it that much, but for a special request, I make a special exception.

1 comment:

Jaye said...

So glad to see that you got a KitchenAid mixer! I got one for my birthday, too, and I LOVE it. It makes everything so much easier. I haven't tried it for pies yet, but T-day is coming! YAY for baking with KitchenAid.