Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Exquisite Corpse First Reveal

Finally I can spill the beans on the Exquisite Corpse Round Robin that I've been participating in. One of the artists in my group got hers back so we can reveal our details of that one piece. I'll show the other ones to you when I know that the piece has returned home to the originating artist.
Part of the fun of this project is the secrecy!
This is what the piece looked like when I received it. The original artist (Nellie) and one other person has worked on it, and have covered up their 6" squares with muslin front and back (to preserve the secrecy). The only clues you have to work on are the theme, and the 1/2" margins that we are leaving. This is supposed to help us take a cue from what the adjacent artists are doing so that the whole thing will look cohesive once all the muslin are removed.
The theme of this piece was pattern. The artist to the right of me did hand-stitching, you can see the orange x's and white x's, which I then extended with embroidery stitches from my machine.
Here's how it looks before I cover up my square.
To see how the final piece looks in all its uncovered glory, check it out.

If you're interested in participating in this, signups for the second round are happening now.

2 comments:

Nellie's Needles said...

Thanks for revealing your part in this piece. Actually, I'm still waiting for it Uncle Sam to deliver it from Canada. I had given Arlee (the last to work on it) permission to uncover and photograph it to make a submission to a book deadline.

arlee said...

Nicely exposed, Julie :} It's such a treat to now see completed pieces!!