Monday, July 16, 2007

Deerly Beloved

Did you know that our deer herd is on the increase? I don't have a picture of Bambi yet, her spots help her blend in so well that I haven't gotten a good shot. She sleeps under the trampoline during the day (a nice shady spot). This picture is taken out the back door onto our hill. Just over the hill is the undeveloped forest/underbrush which they dash into whenever they're alarmed.
They really do come right next to the house. The roof you see is the floor of my bedroom, and with the windows open at night we hear them munching and crashing around. Soon there will be a deck coming out from this spot, and I may have to put in a deer fence on the second story deck as they'd be able to leap over. And since I am planning to have roses up there, they will probably be tempted to try it!
Check out the leaping cat in the foreground. Spike was "hunting" the deer. I don't know what he would do if he ever caught one!

Our names for these two are Deer Leader and Dearie. Tre's creative, no?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm shocked that the BOY is still hanging out with the momma and baby! Around here - they bail as soon as they get some!

:-P eirdre

Laume said...

Maybe Spike is just hoping for a bath, like Charlie got!