Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A Class, I Took A Class!

An online friend came to the area to teach and I was lucky enough to get into the class, "My Quilt, My Rules". Pamela Allen came all the way from Canada to Berkeley to teach at EBHQ this past weekend. I was so happy to finally get to meet her in person, as we've known each other for going on five years now. It was a lot of driving, but it was totally worth it.

If you get a chance to take a class from Pamela, don't hesitate, go for it! She is a wonderful teacher, who really knows art, and how to teach it in a fun but very intense way.

I got the base of my composition done quickly, and then had to fool around with the placement of the main character, Snake. She was very squirmy (made out of stretchy faux snakeskin), and let's just say, hard to pin down. haha.

Snake turned inwards, I didn't like this version at all.

That's a bit better, but it still changed when I finished the quilt as you can see further down.

A five minute exercise, use your scraps, and you must include a fish. I included three.

This was a sticker on the top of the garbage can, and it just made me laugh.

Here are our quilts at the end of the day, mine on the left and Jaye's on the right.

Here is Pamela with some of her students, documenting the class' work at the end of the day. It was a great set up with foamcore boards to pin our work to. Everything looks so different when it is hung up vertically!

Hey, that's good she's smiling when taking a photo of my quilt!

I hadn't taken a class in a very long time, I had forgotten how much fun they are. The camraderie, sharing, and students teaching students was very inspiring.

No comments: