Thursday, July 20, 2006

Poetry Thursday


This week the CATO (Completely And Totally Optional) Poetry Thursday prompt is to post a poem about s.e.x.

I immediately went to Rumi of course. The Sufi poet, much translated, much admired. Here is one of my faves out of "The Love Poems of Rumi" edited by Deepak Chopra

Desire
by Jalal al-Din Rumi
I desire you
more than food
or drink
My body
my senses
my mind
hunger for your taste
I can sense your presence
in my heart
although you belong
to all the world
I wait
with silent passion
for one gesture
one glance
from you

I'll illustrate this post with a photo of a quilt I did years ago called: "Passion's Leaves".

5 comments:

Mimey said...

"I can sense your presence
in my heart
although you belong
to all the world"


I like this part. The place where the personal becomes global and you understand how vast the tiny things are, and how tiny the vast. We are the world!

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Rumi is good! I first learned of him through reading Deepak Chopra, who quotes him often.

Deb R said...

Rumi is beautiful.

:-D eirdre said...

I love this quilt and the poem is pretty good too!

kerrdelune said...

Rumi is marvellous, and this poem is an excellent choice fot this week's theme. Kudos to you for it! Rumi and Hafiz are both lush sensuous reading, and what fire they have. . . .